Contra is a community folk dance, similar to ceilidh but with roots in North America. We love dancing contra, and playing for contra dance events. In the past few of years, we've played for community dance events in Cambridge and Bristol, and for contra workshops at IVFDF student folk dance festival.
We enjoy contra so much that we help organise Contrabridge, a monthly series of contra dances in central Cambridge. We can be found dancing and running sound at most events, and occasionally playing. Here's a video from one of the very first Contrabridge events, with us playing with guest musician Matt Cudby, and calling from Adam Hughes.
If you enjoy our contra style but are looking for a bigger band, check out our other band Trip Hazard, where we are joined by fantastic dance musician Colm Sheppard on bodhrán (drum), and multi-instrumentalist Robin Fairey on various wind instruments.
Want to book us for your contra dance event? Get in touch to discuss your needs.
Upcoming public events
- 18th November 2023 with caller Lisa Heywood at Contrabridge, as half of the new and exciting combination Trip Hazard. (event details here)
- 23rd February 2024 with caller Bob Morgan at Bristol Contra
Past public events
- 16th June 2023 with caller Rhodri Davies at Bristol Contra
- 22nd October 2022 at Contrabridge, with guest musician Matt Cudby and caller Adam Hughes. Original event details here, from before Contrabridge got their own website.
- 17th June 2022 at Bristol Contra, with caller Charlie Turner. Facebook event here.
- 7th May 2022 in Cambridge, with caller Charlie Turner. Full details here
- Workshops on 7th March 2020 with caller Malcolm Jowett at IVFDF 2020, covering Introduction to Contra and Challenging Contras